Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Shrestha, Vaidya promise economic prosperity, job creation _FNCCI Election

FNCCI presidential hopefuls -- Ajad Shrestha and Suraj Vaidya - on Tuesday publicly defended their agendas, promising to solve problems that the private sector has been facing and to work for the promotion of industries and trade.

Speaking at a program organized by the Society of Economic Journalists-Nepal (SEJON), both the candidates elaborated their plan of creating better investment and industrial environment and putting the economic issues on the forefront of national agenda.

Both of them said that they were in favor of taking strong action against fake VAT receipt racketeers and urged the government to carry out investigations in a fair manner. They also promised to work for economic prosperity and creation of more jobs in the country.

Republica presents their agendas and reasons behind filing candidacy for the top post in the apex business organization in the country.

My priority will be on promoting fair business practices: Ajad Shrestha

My reason behind filing candidacy for the top post in FNCCI is to help the private sector regain and enhance its glory. I will work for rejuvenating confidence in the private sector, which is low at present. Establishing and promoting fair business practices will get my top priority.

My candidacy has come at a time when entire industrial sector is passing through hard times. I am aware of the problems that this sector has been facing. I believe I have courage and vision to address and resolve these problems. I will strongly push to secure favorable business climate and establish industrial peace in the country by fostering harmonious relationship with the government and political leaders. I will also work to establish a clear role of the private sector in economic policy making. Apart from this, I will also work toward regaining the credibility of business community in the market by increasing interaction with civil society.

I have worked out seven-point agenda that reflect how I intend to serve the institution and the private sector as a whole. Under this, I will increase dialogue for establishing stronger role of the private sector in constitution writing and peace process. I will work toward creating favorable industrial climate for economic prosperity. For that, I will decentralize the authority of FNCCI leadership and incorporate different business groups that are not under the FNCCI´s umbrella yet.

Basically, my tenure will focus on establishing favorable environment for industrial operation by holding talks with government and stakeholders and imparting message of investment friendly environment at the domestic and international arena.

I also express commitment for harmonious industrial relations and strongly believe that workers are integral part of the industries.

I have plans to empower district chambers: Suraj Vaidya

Nepal´s business community is currently facing severe challenges. High inflation and growing trade deficit has threatened not just the economy, but has also raised question over the entire private sector. These challenges are immense. I decided to file candidacy for the top FNCCI post to see off these challenges.

I have a concrete vision to steer the private sector out of the current gloom. I have floated six-point agenda that incorporates the challenges and sufferings of the private sector. I believe our economy can be made vibrant only if we become successful in bringing more investment and opportunities in the districts. I have plans to empower the district chambers with technical expertise of commodity associations and encourage associate members to flow their resources in the districts.

Issues of private sector and real economic agendas have long remained out of priority. Once elected, I will develop economic development agenda of the private sector within six months and strongly push to establish it as agenda of national priority. For this, I will intensify interactions with the government and policy makers. Once we manage to improve investment climate, it will automatically spur industrial growth and job opportunities.

I will make FNCCI more inclusive and also decentralize its authority. This will help use promptly address the problems that business community are facing at different levels. FNCCI has long remained an individual-driven institution; I will make it an organization driven by its members.

Energy crisis has become a major constraint to industrial growth. I will work together with independent power developers and encourage more capital flow in the sector to resolve the problem. I strongly believe that trade unions are partners of industries. Unfortunately, both of us (industries and workers) are suffering from low productivity. I plan to link salary and wages of workers with productivity. Workers that work more certainly deserve high pay.

No comments: